On Friday, January 31st, I sit for the SPHR exam — one of the hardest professional certification exams on the planet. The exam I’ve run from for almost a decade because I hate standardized tests more than I hate peas.
And I really hate peas. Just ask my mother.
To say I am nervous about it is an understatement. But I know I’ve done everything possible to prepare and I believe I will conquer this beast on my first attempt. It will not be easy — but I will do it!
For the last 3 months, I’ve spent roughly 2 – 3 hours each day involved in some study or exam prep activity. I am amazed at how I was able to find the time considering the other demands of my life.
As I get closer and closer to my exam date, I am regularly asked “What will you do with all your time after the SPHR is over?”
Admittedly, I found the question annoying at first. It’s not like I was sitting around twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do before I began my SPHR study! I stay busy … However, when I thought more about it, I realized this priority shift has shown me how I really can do more with my 24 hours. And I don’t want to lose that habit or the momentum it has given me.
So, here’s what I am going to do when my SPHR Exam is over …
- Cry … Yes, I said cry. I fully expect I will openly weep tears of joy and relief and pride when the test is over and I pass. I might even post an ugly cry video on Instagram for posterity. Stay tuned.
- Party … I will celebrate on Friday with my family. Then I will visit Richmond, VA to celebrate my BFF’s birthday and meetup with Melissa Fairman to toast both our passing of the exam. Then I will come home and enjoy Super Bowl Sunday with my friends and family, especially since my friend and fellow University of Richmond alum is playing in the game. Go Broncos!
- Watch TV … I have abused my poor DVR. It is over 70% full as I write this post! I will find some down time to relax and catch up on my favorite shows — and delete the stuff I no longer care to watch.
- Work … I have a busy year of projects, rollouts and new initiatives in my 9-5 job. There is never a dull moment in what I do at work. I love being an HR practitioner and my SPHR certification will be put to good use.
- Blog … I miss writing. I’ve been on an inconsistent schedule for too long now. I’ve missed a lot and missed out on a lot. I’m not happy about that and it must change! The things I’ve learned and refreshed thru my SPHR prep have given me lots of new content to share. Get ready get ready get ready!
- Speak … I will speak at several conferences this year. Up first is the Louisiana SHRM Conference in April. This will be my 3rd year straight at LASHRM; I am so honored and excited to be going again!! The speaker lineup is truly extraordinary and I recommend you get yourself to Baton Rouge for this conference if your HR budget will allow it. I am even more excited that my blog-FF crew from Performance I Create will also be there as presenters and covering social media. It is going to be a fantastic time! Chimay!! (You’ll have to ask Czarina of HR Janine Truitt what that means)
- Other stuff … My mind is always running with ideas on how to make a greater impact thru HR, both at the job and in my other ambitions. I will turn more of these ideas into plans and those plans into actions and those actions into accomplishments.
That’s what I’m going to do when the SPHR is over … But for now, it’s back to studying
Be the first to comment